Jul 28, 2010

World of Tech: Keeping up with inspiration

by
Now if you’re anything like me, then you've read a TON of wedding blogs for inspiration. Recently I saw a reader survey over at one of my favorite blogs. Readers were asked how they kept up with new content on the site. I was really surprised that over 60% said they visited the site repeatedly while only 14% said they used an rss reader. I could not imagine trying to keep up with the content on my favorite blogs by going and visiting each site over and over again.

With that in mind I think it’s time to take our first steps into the world of tech. Let me introduce you to RSS feeds and Google reader. An RSS feed is just a file/web page that contains information in a standard format that can be understood by many different programs including RSS readers. So when we talk about RSS feeds for wedding blogs, the RSS feeds contain the text and images for each of the blog posts.

Now how does an RSS reader, like Google reader, help a bride keep up with all these blog posts? Google reader allows you to tell it which blogs you want to get RSS feeds (aka posts) from. Then it not only pulls all of the different blogs posts into one place but keeps track of which ones you have read/haven’t read and gets new content when it’s available. Pretty snazzy huh? The best part of using an RSS reader is that if you are gone for a few days you don’t have to worry about missing any of the posts. Google reader keeps track of what is new and where you left off reading each blog.

Setting up Google reader is easy but instead of me trying to explain to you how to do it I thought I would leave it to the pros. Here is a two minute video tutorial from Google that will not only get you started but will show you how to add your favorite blogs:


Now that wasn’t so hard, right? Coming up I will be posting about organizing and storing all that inspiration so you never have to worry about losing it.

What tech lovin’ tools are you using to make your wedding planning easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment